Fight Club questions
- Marla is at the root of it,’ says Jack in Fight Club. Discuss what this statement reveals about the film as a whole
- Discuss critically some of the characteristics of Fight Club that have given it cult status as a film
- Explore the contribution of visual style to the overall themes of Fight Club.
- ‘Fight Club uses cinematic means to produce a fantasy which is also a serious exploration of masculinity.’ How far does this statement capture your own response to the film?
- As a result of your close critical study, to what extent does Fight Club become either a more or a less complex film?
Critical Debate Questions
- How useful has a particular critical approach been in gaining a deeper understanding and appreciation of your chosen film?
- Explain how your understanding of your chosen film has been influenced by critical debates
- Explore some of the ways in which placing your chosen film within a broader critical framework has helped to develop your appreciation and understanding of specific sequence
- How far has critical debate about your chosen film shaped and altered your response?
- Explore some of the ways in which you have gained fresh insights into your chosen film as a result of applying one or more specific critical approaches.
- How important have been the responses of others, such as film reviewers, in influencing your own response to your chosen film?
- In developing a response to your chosen film, how valuable did you find the application of a specific critical approach?
- Explore how far a particular debate by critics has influenced your understanding of your chosen film.
- How far has an awareness of the filmmaker as auteur influenced your response to your chosen film?
- How far has particular writing by critics been important in developing your understanding and appreciation of your chosen film?